HomePage | RecentChanges | Preferences |
Create User ID |
Existing User Login |
Page Index |
Ads We Would Run (If We Thought Advertising Was Justifiable)
The basic concept of this page is laid out on the PopularizingTheFuture page and also at http://reality.sculptors.com/~hyprmail/domesteading/0004/1264.html. The idea is that this could be a repository of creative ad copy that we wanted to make up to popularize some of our ideas and/or products, but don't want to pay millions of dollars to put into a magazine when we could spend those millions of dollars doing productive work like building houses, feeding the hungry, etc.
It's part of the UnCorporation? ideas I've been exploring as an alternative business model to most of the currently accepted business practices.
I have a few ideas for ads which I'll post as time permits. (I have to make them, first.) If you have ideas, or even full-on mock ups for ads, feel free to post them (or links to them) here.
- One ad I'd like to do would be some jaw-droppingly gorgeous views of nature, either with a superimposed deck, or eventually taken from the deck of a real autonomous house with the text "If the view from your porch doesn't look like this, perhaps you should give us a call." You could do a whole series of these, with amazing views, 2-page spread sort of photos, always with the same text. :-)
- Another idea, in the same vein, would be aerial photos of autonomous houses sitting atop mountains and skyscrapers, showing that the house can function perfectly well in both environments. Text might be something like "Life is good when you're on top. Hopefully, this could be done with some of the same sort of humor that you see on ads like the CitiBank? "Live Richly" campaign, yet rather than encouraging people to go out and spend more money all the time, we'd be offering an affordable product that might allow people to escape the 30-year-mortgage trap and become financially self-sufficient.
- I'd also like to see a series of ads (print and motion picture) that look like a direct take-off on the car/truck/SUV commercials you see, where the truck is perched up on top of a mesa someplace that it had to be carted in by a helicopter, except you put a house there, instead. I also really want to use a sound-clip during the helicopter flyarounds from the band "Eat Static", I think from the song "Implant". It has this very high-speed techno beat and some very squiggly sounds, and the voice of what sounds like an old woman from somewhere Out West saying "It's like a flying saucer!" Whenever I hear this song, I get these visions in my head. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think it'd be fun...and the house does look like a flying saucer. :-)
- "Mass Produced...Not Mass Marketed" - This slogan I think captures the idea of using technology to give us the low-cost, high-performance products we should expect in a home, but without the lowest-common-denominator, scattershot approach that you see with most advertising. Think of AOL floppy disks tucked into Burger King Happy Meals [yes, they actually did that] or really any AOL disc marketing campaign, for that matter. Think of all the junk mail and spam that they send out en masse in the hopes that they get even a fraction of one percent to respond. That's precisely the sort of thing we're trying to avoid. :-)
- "Don't 'Get away from it all'...LIVE away from it all!" - This would go well with the aforementioned aerial shots of the house out in pristine wilderness.
If, at some future point, we change our minds and feel that millions of dollars are better spent paying a magazine or TV show to carry our ad than to build 10,000 homes for the homeless, then at least we'll have a library of cool ideas to choose from! :-)
Mortgage means Death Pledge
Do you really want to spend the rest of your life working to pay for your shelter?
If you can afford a car, you can afford a Reality Sculptors Autonomous House.
Reality Sculptors Homepage