RE: X-plane

From: Patrick Salsbury (salsbury_at_sculptors.com)
Date: 05/06/00

Subject: RE: X-plane
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 11:23:48 -0700
From: Patrick Salsbury <salsbury_at_sculptors.com>

Got this reply from Jeremy.

Pat

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:13:03 -0700
From: "Jeremy Horsfall" <Jeremy_at_horsfall.com>
To: "Patrick Salsbury" <salsbury_at_sculptors.com>,
         <airships_at_bootstrap.sculptors.com>
cc: <jezza_at_horsfall.com>

I bought X-plane some time ago, and it is very comprehensive with excellent
flight models etc. The design tool is primarily aimed aerodynamic modeling
of heavier-than-air craft(fixed wing, helicopter) and components(props,
controls surfaces etc.)

I am not sure it could be used for airship designs; the problem is whether
it can handle zero or negative weight. Assuming it can handle the concept
of lighter-than-air, you would have to do your own gas volume/weight
calculations. Even if it cannot handle it, I guess it could still be used to
check aerodynamic stability. I'll check it out and let you know.

On a similar subject, some time ago I read about some experiments with an
airship/fixed wing hybrid which had the aerodynamic properties of a fixed
wing craft, but used lighter-than-air gases to reduce its weight and
consequently power and fuel requirements. Anybody know about this project
and where it got to?

Jezza

------- End of Forwarded Message

Brought to you by Reality Sculptors