Re: seacrete

From: Patrick Salsbury (salsbury_at_sculptors.com)
Date: 07/19/98

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 18:06:37 -0700
From: Patrick Salsbury <salsbury_at_sculptors.com>
Subject: Re: seacrete

At 06:06 PM 7/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>i read this in the millennial project mailing list.
>>>
>So far we haven't been able to
>develop any reliable techniques for producing seacrete thick enough for
>stable structures. It would not be possible to create a very simple wire
>mesh to very roughly outline the desired shape of a room and then have
>the accretion build up the ultimate organically contoured surface -except
>possibly over a time frame of centuries. The accretion simply cannot
>build up that far away from the electrodes in any reasonable amount of
>time. In fact, it may not be possible to build up structurally sound
>accretion more than an inch thick on top of its supporting electrodes. So
>the full surface detail desired would have to be accounted for in the
>topology of a very complete and dense wire mesh.
><<
>
>this, if true, will make our work harder.
>
>corey

        Hmm... I haven't done any full-scale experiments with the
electrodeposition and seacrete processes, yet, so I can't speak for this
personally. I have seen some 3D meshes made of lightweight aluminum
sheeting. (Think about those paper holiday ornaments they sell in
drugstores, like big pumpkins or wedding bells that you unfold around an
axis... Looks like that.)
        That kind of meshing would provide electrode surfaces within 1" throughout
the structure, if we do require that. Perhaps something could also be done
to impregnate the electrodeposited material with further conducting metals
or materials. (Carbon is conductive, under some circumstances, for
example.) Also, layering is a possibility. (1" of electrodep, then a piece
of screen on both sides, so it grows out to 2-3" thick, then screen on both
sides, etc....)

        I doubt it's anything we should give up over, but I agree, this could make
it more challenging, if it's true.

        I do have that paper of research Wolf Hilbertz did in 1976 with
electrodeposition, but the samples he submitted were only about 1/2" in
diameter on the mesh.

Pat
           Patrick G. Salsbury - http://www.sculptors.com/~salsbury/
      Check out the Reality Sculptors Project: http://www.sculptors.com/